At the 'Cayman Resident' we constantly get asked about drivers licences and permits, and rightly so, it can definitely be a confusing topic!
Here we outline a couple different ways that you can legally drive on the Island whether you are new to the island or a seasoned driver of the Cayman roads – once you have worked out which licence permit you require. The path to getting your drivers licence is fairly routine, but the process is quite slow.
If you are a visitor (i.e. not a resident and you don’t have a Work Permit) then:
- It is not necessary to obtain a visitor’s permit. You can drive in Cayman provided you have a valid driver’s licence and insurance coverage.
- Visitors who have a full, valid driver’s licence from a Convention country can drive for six months in Cayman.
- Visitors who have a full, valid driver’s licence not from a Convention country can drive for one month in Cayman provided that they only drive a motor car, a truck not exceeding 8,500lbs, or a motorcycle under 125cc.
If you are a legal resident in Cayman you can drive on Cayman's roads if you:
- Have an International Driver’s permit. As long as it is valid, you are exempted from the requirement to hold a Cayman driver’s licence and can, therefore, drive legally on it.
- Have a full, valid domestic driver’s licence from a Convention country. You will be able to drive in Cayman for up to six months before having to pass the written theory test to be issued with a Cayman driver’s licence. If you wait longer than six months, you will also have to pass the practical road test.
- Have a full, valid domestic driver’s licence not from Convention country. You can drive for one month in Cayman, but only a motor car, a truck not exceeding 8,500lbs, or a motorcycle under 125cc. To legally drive thereafter, you must obtain a Cayman driving licence by passing both the written theory and the practical road tests.
- Have a full Cayman driving licence. Cayman driving licences are only valid for either three, five or ten years. You will need to get your licence renewed promptly or you are effectively driving without a licence and therefore driving illegally. If caught without a valid licence, you will be suspended for a year.
You must have your driving licence and a copy of your car insurance with you at all times when driving! Brand new drivers licences can be obtained for three or five years and cost CI$125 or CI$175 depending on the category of vehicle. For those needing their group 0,1, 1A, 2, & 3 Cayman licence renewed the cost is CI$75 for three years or CI$125 for five years. The cost to renew a Group 4 licence is $120 for three years or $200 for five years.Read More
Your vehicle will need to be inspected and licensed every year by the DVDL (unless the car is brand new and then it can be licensed for three years). Avoid doing this on rainy days (they will not inspect the cars if it is raining) or at the beginning and end of the month as they get very busy. You can have your car inspected and its registration renewed for up to 30 days before the expiry date.Read More
Cayman takes its rules regarding disabled parking access very seriously and parking illegally is frowned upon by the public. If you do park illegally, you may receive a ticket from a police officer or be publicly shamed by Blue Spot campaigners, who post pictures on their public Facebook page. Please read on to find out how to obtain a proper permit.Read More