There are three groups of motorcycle licences: Group 0 (mopeds/ motor scooters - up to 50cc), Group 1 (up to 125cc) and Group 1A (over 125cc). You must be at least 19 years of age to drive a motorcycle with an engine over 125cc.
If you have a bike licence from abroad which explicitly states that you are entitled to ride a bike over 125cc, then it may be possible to obtain a Full Group 1A licence by taking a theory test and paying a CI$75 fee. However, this largely depends on which country your licence has been issued from and is not guaranteed. If you already have a Group 2, 3 or 4 Cayman driver’s licence, then you can easily obtain a Learner’s Group 1 bike licence without having to take a written test. Having obtained it, you should book a practical road test. With a Provisional Group 1 licence, you are only allowed to carry a passenger who is the holder of a Full Group 1 licence.
If you don’t have a qualifying licence, then you need to pass both a written and practical test. Once you've obtained a Full Group 1 licence, you must wait one year before you can qualify for a Provisional Group 1A and after you have been tested again, you will be able to ride unlimited displacement motorbikes. However, if you are over the age of 19 and can prove you have a Group 1 licence, then you can skip the 12-month wait time. Cayman Custom Cycles (Tel: (345) 945 7433) offers this course, along with the Group 1 motorcycle training courses.
The Department of Vehicle & Drivers’ Licensing (DVDL) Locations
The DVDL is authorised to inspect and test vehicles, register motor vehicles and maintain the register, issue licences in respect of motor vehicles and drivers, and conduct driving tests.
The Department of Vehicle & Drivers’ Licensing (DVDL) has three locations in Grand Cayman
- 990 Crewe Road, Red Bay, Tel: (345) 945 8344, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Web: www.dvdl.gov.ky. Open: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm
- 9 Reverend Blackman Road, West Bay (Across from the West Bay Police Station) Tel: (345) 949 7231, Email: email@example.com or Web: www.dvdl.gov.ky. Open: Tuesday-Friday 10am-6pm, Saturday 9am-4pm
- Breakers, Frank Sound (across Sea View Road from the South Coast Bar and Grill) Tel: (345) 244 5528, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Web: www.dvdl.gov.ky. Open: Tuesday-Friday 10am-6pm, Saturday 9am-4pm
The Department of Vehicle & Drivers’ Licensing (DVDL) in Cayman Brac and Little Cayman:
- Cayman Brac District Administration Building. Tel: (345) 948 2222. Open: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm
- Little Cayman District Administration Building, Tel: (345) 948 1051. Open: Every other Thursday 9am-2.30pm
For more information visit their website.