Cayman’s public libraries are a great place to inspire your child to read and to encourage their love for books.
The Cayman Islands Library Service has one full service public library located in George Town, plus four branch libraries on Grand Cayman (East End, North Side, West Bay and Bodden Town), and another branch on Cayman Brac.
A library card is available for residents and costs CI$5 per year for adults. Children up to the age of 17 and seniors over the age of 60 can join for free.
Each summer, the Public Library Service hosts a Summer Reading Challenge for primary and secondary students to encourage summer reading. Additionally, the George Town Library, the North Side Library and the West Bay Library each host a weekly PlayReadLearn! programme for children ages three to five and their parents or caregiver. PlayReadLearn! focuses on getting young children ‘ready to read’. Every Saturday at 10.30am, the Pink Ladies Volunteer Corps will host Storytelling for ages 0-5 at the George Town and West Bay Libraries.
Visit www.cipl.gov.ky for more information on these programmes.
The public libraries in the Cayman Islands are as follows:
- George Town Library, 68 Edward Street, Tel: (345) 949 5159. They are open: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10am-6pm, Thursday 10am-7.30pm and Saturday 10am-2pm.
- Bodden Town Library, 69 Bodden Town Road, Bodden Town, Tel: (345) 947 0966. They are open: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10am-6pm (closed 1-2pm), Friday 10am-1pm, Saturday 10am-2pm.
- East End Library, 2739 Sea View Road, East End, Tel: (345) 947 7729. They are open: Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm (closed 1-2pm), Friday 10am-1pm, Saturday 10am-2pm.
- North Side Library, 891 North Side Road, North Side, Tel: (345) 947 9362. They are open: Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm (closed 1-2pm), Friday 10am-1pm, Saturday 10am-2pm.
- Emily Redley Powery Memorial Library and Learning Centre, 182 Reverend Blackman Road, West Bay, Tel: (345) 949 7659. They are open: Monday-Friday 10am-6pm (closed 1-2pm), Saturday 10am-2pm.
- Cayman Brac Library, 263B Stake Bay Road, Cayman Brac, Tel: (345) 948 0472. They are open:Monday & Thursday 8.30am-6pm (closed 1-2pm), Tuesday & Wednesday 8.30-5pm (closed 1-2pm), Friday closed and Saturday 9am-1.30pm.
- UCCI Library, located at the University College of the Cayman Islands, Tel: (345) 623 8224, ext 5. Opening hours: Monday-Thursday 8am-9pm, Friday 8am-4pm, Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm. The library is primarily geared towards academia. However, it does offer some recreational reading material with a broad range of current periodicals and journals.