Air conditioning is an expensive necessity in Cayman and can have the biggest impact on your electricity bill.
On This Page
With the help of one of Cayman's reputable air conditioning contractors you can effectively manage costs and keep your air conditioning system running efficiently.
Air Conditioning Contractors
Considering the potential costly fall-out for an incorrectly installed or ill-suited air conditioning unit, it is a good idea to seek the help of an expert. Cayman's skilled air conditioning contractors can assist with all your air conditioning needs, from installation through to regular maintenance. Some risks of an incorrectly installed air conditioning unit include strange noises, increased energy costs, poor airflow and air-quality and slow reponses.
A professional air conditioning contractor will help you avoid the aforementioned issues AND have the answer to your questions on size, budget, ductwork and energy-efficieny when choosing the right air conditioning system. After installation, they can provide regular maintenance to ensure everything is running smoothly and any issues are rectified before they become the reason for a big bill.
It is essential to ensure that you have your air conditioning unit regularly maintained by a professional company to maximise its efficiency. There are ample air conditioning contractors to choose from. When selecting an air conditioning system, presuming you are getting a new one, make sure that the system has a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER). This can make a big difference to your energy consumption.
You might also ask an AC contractor to take a photo inside your AC ducts to check whether mold is growing. Fiberglass air-conditioning duct-work are designed to last a maximum of 10-15 years, but in Cayman, with our humidity, that can be more like 7-12 years. If mold is growing in your fibreglass duct-work then your apartment will smell musty and it must be replaced urgently. There is a new fibreglass-free AC duct-work called KoolDuct and mold cannot grow in it. It is worth asking your landlord how often they service their AC units and how old the duct-work in the roof is.
If you are buying a condo or house, make sure to ask about the previous AC maintenance record and it is definitely worth getting an MEP report done to see how old the AC units are and how the duct-work looks. Buying two new AC systems, and all new duct-work, in a two-bedroom house can cost you anywhere from CI$16,000 to CI$24,000 depending on the SEER of units you buy and what sort of duct-work you want. Then investing in quarterly AC maintenance is essential.
Below are a few reputable local contractors who can advise, install, maintain and repair A/C systems:
Air Conditioning Tips
Cayman's year-round hot climate means air conditioning is a necessity, however there are some ways to manage and reduce costs:
- Close windows and curtains during the day
- Keeping the temperature at the highest setting you feel comfortable
- Use an overhead fan, especially during the winter months when a fan may be all you need in the mornings and evenings
- Keep air filters clean so your home remains well insulated
- Ensure you have your air conditioning unit regularly maintained by a professional company to maximise its efficiency
- When choosing an air conditioning system (presuming you are getting a new one) make sure the system has a high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER), which can make a big difference to your energy consumption. For more tips on living green in cayman, see our Being Green pages
- Install a programmable thermostat that adjusts temperatures during off-peak hours
- Choose a system that is suitable for the area you are seeking to keep cool, as certain systems are either too large or not adequate enough for the space you want to cool. One of the experienced and licensed professionals listed above can assist in determining this.
- Make sure to check that mold is not building up in your AC duct-work. If it is have your duct-work replaced immediately.