Cayman offers a good selection of experts who can help you in the first few days and weeks after giving birth, whether it's lactation advice or general newborn baby care. This is especially helpful for those who do not have family close by.
The Cayman Islands Breastfeeding Support Group is a volunteer group who meet at least once a month to offer free support and education in breastfeeding to expecting and existing mothers. The volunteers visit new mothers in hospital and at home to offer free breastfeeding advice and support. They will rent hospital grade Medela pumps in emergency situations, and provide breast pumps for mums returning to work. The group presently sells the Medela Double Pumping Breast Pump for CI$190 and the Medela Manual Breast Pump for CI$25. Visit www.facebook.com/cibreastfeeding or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
The midwives at the Women’s Health Clinic at the Cayman Islands Hospital offer free postnatal care and home visits for all patients. They can provide general and breastfeeding support as necessary after the birth of your child.
The Health Services Authority (HSA) offers services to all through five health centres on-Island:
- Bodden Town Health Centre Nursing services are available Monday and Thursday 8.30am-8pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8.30am-4pm and Saturday 8.30am-12pm, Tel: (345) 947 2299
- East End Health Centre Nursing services are available Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm and Saturday 8.30am-12pm, Tel: (345) 947 7440
- West Bay Health Centre Nursing services are available during clinic hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 8.30am-4pm; Wednesdays 8.30am-8pm and Saturdays 8.30am-12pm, Tel: (345) 949 3439
- North Side Clinic Services are available Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm and Saturday 8.30am-12pm, Tel: (345) 947 9525
- General Practice Clinic at the Cayman Islands Hospital Monday-Friday 7.30am-8pm, Saturday 8.30am-4pm, Tel: (345) 949 8600.