The Hazard Management of the Cayman Islands (HMCI) has developed an Island-wide Emergency Alert System that will notify the public when a major threat is declared.
When a major threat is declared, a release is issued to all media houses to advise the public and the notification is also posted on the HMCI website and social media accounts.
In March 2022, the Cayman Islands Government launched the National Emergency Notification System (NENS). In the event of a national disaster or emergency, this system enables direct communication with all subscribed users in the Cayman Islands. Developed by Hazard Management Cayman Islands (HMCI) in collaboration with local and regional stakeholders, NENS is a FREE mobile app that delivers emergency alerts by email, SMS and app notification. Residents and visitors can download the app on their mobile devices by going to nens.gov.ky.
The emergency alert will include details of the incident including what kind of incident it is, where it is primarily located (if possible) and when it occurred. The message will also include any essential public safety messaging such as instructions to stay away from the incident area or to seek higher ground.
How to Download the NENS App
- Visit nens.gov.ky.
- Click ‘Opt-in’ and fill out the necessary information. Downloading the app is recommended, but you can also choose to be notified of emergencies via email and SMS (Please note that delays in delivering mass notifications via SMS may occur due to network congestion during an emergency).
- Download the FREE BlackBerry AtHoc app from your app store.
- Open the app and enter the email address you used to opt-in to the service to verify and activate your account.
- Check your email for a link from BlackBerry AtHoc and click ‘Verify Now’.
- For Android devices: once you return to the BlackBerry AtHoc app, please wait 1-2 minutes for the mobile app to request the organisation code.
For Apple (iOS) devices: automatically connect to the mobile app to request the organisation code.
- The AtHoc app will then ask for an organisation code. Your organisation code is: HMCI. Tap ‘send’.
- The screen will then indicate you are now set up to receive notifications.
Though the NENS app should hopefully prove very useful, it is still encouraged to plan ahead.