Outdoor areas are a key extension to homes in Cayman, thanks to the Island’s warm and mostly sunny climate. A well-designed outdoor space can add to the marketability of your property.
If your outside area needs an overhaul, then here are some questions to consider before you begin the process:
- Do you need an entertainment area?
- Would you prefer serene and manicured gardens or a more natural area that children and pets can enjoy?
- How much time/money are you willing to spend on maintenance each month?
- How long will you live in the house and will it be worth the financial outlay?
Equipped with answers, seek out a contractor and landscape gardener who can help bring your vision to life.
Outdoor Living Areas
Outdoor kitchens, BBQ areas, decking or stone patio areas, hot tubs and even fire pits can really elevate your outdoor living experience. The below companies can help source what you are looking for.
LIVING.KY offers a range of furniture, rugs & home accessories; custom furniture packages, interior design services, free delivery and installation, and more.
An experienced landscape gardener will approach each garden on an individual basis and will be able to create a detailed design based on your needs. If you are new to landscaping then there’s the danger that you could purchase a lot of plants and accessories that don’t work together, let alone survive in the Cayman sun! A landscape gardener will understand which plants work best with your property’s terrain and conditions.
See below for the top gardening trends on-Island:
- Native plants and trees – Local garden centres stock a wide assortment of native and non-native species of plants and trees. There is a huge variety of bright and beautiful options including Tabebuia, Lantana, Bromeliads, Adenium and Bougainvillea.
- Edible Gardens – Produce gardens can be a bit tricky to establish and maintain, but the wait is well worth it. Locally grown tomatoes are delicious, as are salad leaves and herbs. If you have the space, consider planting fruit trees — they’re great for providing shade too!
- Vertical gardens – These ‘living walls’ add a personal touch to patios and balconies. However keep in mind they are an expensive addition.
- Artificial Turf – Many homeowners are turning to artificial turf for a low-maintenance landscaping solution. Not only can you guarantee your lawn always looks great, but once you get past the initial high cost of installation, it’s a great money saving move.
Refer to this list of garden centres.