We are often asked how many days, as a visitor, one can stay in the Cayman Islands. Under the law a person that has no other basis to enter the Cayman Islands (i.e. a Work Permit) and with no right to residence (i.e. is married to a Caymanian) may be admitted as visitors for up to a total of six months, with extensions permissible thereafter.

However, many people arriving in Cayman will be permitted entry for an initial 30 days only, unless they own property. If they want to stay longer, and an extension beyond 30 days was not approved on initial arrival, then they have to go to the Department of Immigration (before their time runs out), fill out an extension form and request to remain longer. Fees of CI$50 are payable for the first extension and CI$100 for each further extension. It can get quite expensive after a few months. However, if you plan well in advance and come prepared with a letter showing you can support yourself and have somewhere to live, you may well be given up to three months to stay.

However, if a tourist visitor is arriving for a significant period, like many of our returning ‘snow birds’ do over the winter period, then they will generally be admitted for up to six months. For this they must show the entry officer their return ticket, a very recent bank or investment statement showing that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and a hotel/condo reservation or a lease. This paperwork is looked at very discreetly and returned to the visitor. If the visitor owns a home in the Cayman Islands, and can show the immigration officer the Land Register, then a six month permission will be granted to them and other visitors travelling with and visiting with them.

If your significant other has moved to the Cayman Islands and you would like to join them then the rules on dependants are very strict. Please see this page on who can and cannot be a dependant and how you can go about being added to your husband/wife/father/mother’s work permit. Please note that a girlfriend or boyfriend cannot be added to a work permit holder’s work permit.