About Sherborne School
Founded by King Edward VI in 1550, Sherborne School is an historic full boarding school for boys which has a strong partnership with nearby Sherborne Girls. Within this unique framework, Sherborne is an ideal location, situated in the heart of a busy Abbey town surrounded by rolling hills and beaches just a short drive away.
Sherborne School gives the opportunity for all to develop in a secure environment whilst encouraging each boy to become self-reliant, confident and kind. Shirburnians are keen to pursue academic excellence and to make their mark on the world as so many of its notable alumni have done before; Hugh Bonneville, Alan Turing, Chris Martin, John Le Carré, to name just a few.
Sherborne is renowned for offering its boys the broadest possible range of opportunities outside the classroom and they are encouraged to develop their sporting, artistic and creative talents.
Sherborne lies in the beautiful Dorset countryside and has a direct train to and from Waterloo.
- Located in a beautiful, historic market town in rural Dorset
- Two hours from London, escorted transport to major airports
- Partnership with Sherborne Girls; single-sex education alongside joint opportunities
- 90% Boarding, with Eight Boarding Houses, activity schedule and socials programme
- Excellent academic results, preparing boys to thrive in the modern world
- Co-curricular & enrichment opportunities, many in collaboration with Sherborne Girls
- Sports Centre currently undergoing expansion & re-modelling for sporting excellence
- Excellent careers support
- First rate academic and boarding facilities
- Sherborne Sports Centre – state of the art facility opening in 2023 to include two sports halls, indoor cricket nets, an indoor hockey pitch, two five-a-side pitches, basketball courts, eight badminton courts, four squash courts, climbing and bouldering area, fitness suite, sports performance area, two studios and fully refurbished swimming pool and changing areas.
- State of the art Music School providing GCSE and A level options in Music and Music Technology. Over half of boys playing an instrument, many more than one, play in orchestras, joint orchestras, bands and the annual CourtsFest, Battle of the Bands, Halliday Cup competition, weekly Cheap Street Recitals are just a few of the many performance opportunities for boys.
- Beautifully refurbished library, providing the perfect learning space for boys
- Stunning Chapel, formerly part of the 15th Century Benedictine monastic building, a place for spiritual reflection and whole school assemblies.
- Fully refurbished and modern dining hall
- The ‘Powell Theatre, used for school plays and joint school productions with Sherborne Girls
- A busy Art department including a ceramics studio and the beautiful Oliver Holt Art Gallery sees boys engaged in art ‘round the clock’ with outstanding teaching support.
- Stunning grounds, sports pitches, astro turf pitches and Pavilion
- Use of Sherborne Abbey for worship, choir rehearsals and choral services
An extensive co-curricular programme encourages pupils to develop existing interests and foster new talents across a broad range of areas including:
- Drama – multiple productions each year including joint schools’ musical and play with Sherborne Girls
- Music – instrument and singing lessons, choirs, orchestras and ensembles, almost 50% of pupils learn at least one musical instrument, playing to an enviably high standard - Level 6 LTCL and Level 4 ATCL performance diplomas are regular achievements, inevitably preceded by Distinction in Grade 8.
- Sport – rugby, football, hockey, tennis, cricket, swimming, cross-country, athletics, basketball, cross country, fives, shooting, ski racing, water polo, racquet sports, polo, sailing, climbing golf, and other outdoor pursuits
- Adventure & Leadership including Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (Bronze, Silver and Gold) and Ten Tors with Sherborne Girls
- Joint Combined Cadet Force (CCF) with Sherborne Girls
- Academic societies and enrichment
- Debating Society
- Community outreach and volunteering – A Sherborne Youth Community Hub has been formed alongside Sherborne Girls and other local schools
- Wide selection of additional activities and clubs on offer from computer science, history of art, cooking, languages, chess to gardening and fishing
- Weekend activities including trips to the beach, black tie dinners, balls, trips to local restaurants, go-karting, paintballing, pizza making nights, quiz nights and BBQ’s (many in conjunction with Sherborne Girls)