Visitors Marrying in the Cayman Islands

Couples looking to get married in Cayman must be married under the authority of the Governor’s non-residents marriage licence (Special Marriage Licence), which should be arranged before you arrive on-Island.

Whether you are on vacation or are arriving by cruise ship it is recommended that you select a wedding celebrant (a Civil Registrar/Marriage Officer) before you arrive so that the wedding celebrant can assess all documents and see that they are in order.

Doing this in advance will save you disappointment and make sure you have the correct documents to obtain Your Special Marriage Licence.

The cost of  the Special Marriage Licence is CI$200 (CI$50 Application Fee and CI$150 Licence fee). The Special Marriage Licence may be collected by you or our wedding celebrant and once it is collected, the ceremony is allowed to take place. A list of licensed Wedding Celebrants can be obtained on the Department of Immigration (WORC) website or from the Passport and Corporate Services Office on Grand Cayman or the District Commissioner’s Office on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

Currently, the Marriage Law reads that cruise ships docked in Cayman waters are required to have a Cayman-licensed marriage officer on board to officiate the union if the ship is registered in the Cayman Islands.

Once you have said ‘I do’ you will need to sign three certified copies of the Marriage Register that must be obtained from the Cayman Islands Registrar of Marriage. Couples from most places in Europe, except the UK, need to get an Apostille. Your Marriage Officer can take care of this for you. Couples from the USA and Canada don’t need an Apostille. Visit the Once You Are Married page for more information.

For more information on getting married in Cayman while on vacation, visit the Weddings page on our sister website, Explore Cayman.

Documents Needed by Visitors Getting Married in the Cayman Islands

  • Proof of citizenship and age – Passport or an original/certified copy of birth certificate with photo identification
  • Proof of marital status (legal divorce decree or death certificate, if applicable)
  • Cayman Islands Immigration Department card or international embarkation/disembarkation card for cruise ship passengers
  • Non-resident marriage licence (Special Marriage Licence)


On Grand Cayman

Passport and Corporate Services Office
Sussex House, 128 Elgin Avenue, George Town
Grand Cayman, KY1-9000
Tel: (345) 943 7678
Email: passport&[email protected]

On Cayman Brac and Little Cayman

District Commissioner’s Office
District Administration Building, Stake Bay
PO Box 240
Cayman Brac KY2-2101
Tel: (345) 948 2222
Email: [email protected]