Where can I find specific information? Please see the below pages for details on isolation options such as where to quarantine and preparation.
Read more about Cayman's new self-isolation options and processes here.
For more details about at-home isolation and the new Quarantine at Residence programme, click here.
Cayman’s COVID-19 climate is changing rapidly, and as we are within the process of conducting a phased border reopening, there are new details about airport arrival, isolation facilities and safety precautions that you must know prior to travelling.
One of the most integral things to bear in mind is that you no longer have to quarantine at a government-led isolation facility if you are a Caymanian or a permanent resident. Caymanians and residents, subject to approval, can now quarantine at a private facility or at home. There are also more quarantine options for work-permit holders and property owners. As of October 2020, there are now three options available to you:
- Quarantine at Residence
- Quarantine at a Government Run Facility
- Quarantine at a Privately Run Facility
Government Run facilities previously included The Wyndham Reef Resort and Comfort Suites. Now, there are more options available in Palm Heights, The Ritz-Carlton, Sunshine Suites, St. Matthew’s Hall and St. Matthew’s Residence. These new additions have all created brochures so that you are aware of the prerequisites such as prices, amenities, and sanitation measures. You can view brochures for each of these residences by clicking on their names, so that you can make a fully-informed decision about where you will be staying for 2 weeks.
Preparing for Isolation
Preparing to isolate for a period of 14 days may seem like a daunting, stressful task. There are a variety of things to worry about, such as toiletries and medications, and if you have children, the stress may double. However, if you plan ahead and think about what you will need to be able to stay in your home for the full 14 days, it will be a much easier, smooth endeavour. The Cayman Islands Government recommends that, to prepare:
- If you are taking any medication, please be sure to bring along an adequate supply to ensure you have enough while in quarantine. A one-month supply is recommended.
- If your household includes others, ensure they are aware of the quarantine requirements and are prepared to quarantine with you or find alternative accommodation prior to your arrival.
- Ask friends or family to drop off anything you need or order supplies online ahead of your arrival.
Terms and Conditions
The government have outlined a strict set of rules and protocols which you must accept and adhere to throughout the isolation period. By participating in the Quarantine at Residence programme, you must confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions, some of which include:
- You must wear a mask until you reach your facility, including in the taxi;
- For no reason whatsoever are you allowed to leave your place of isolation. The only exemption is if you have received advance authorisation from the Medical Officer of Health or in the case of an emergency;
- You are responsible for any tampers or damages to your geofencing device. You must make sure that your device: has at least 30% of charge in the battery; has Mobile Data services enabled, including for the Tracesafe application; and remains in the same room as you within your place of isolation;
- You are not allowed to have ANY individuals enter your home or your yard space, even if you are not even inside of your home at the time. This includes all family members, friends, food delivery persons, work colleagues and domestic helpers;
- Any breach in the terms and conditions may cause you to be forcibly removed from the Quarantine at Residence programme and placed in a Government Run facility. Committing an offence is also a breach of the Public Health Law and regulations made to control the spread of Coronavirus.
See a full list of the Terms and Conditions here.
If you decide midway that you do not want to participate in the Quarantine at Residence programme anymore (after you have been fitted with a wristband and transported), you will have to complete the remainder of isolation in a Government Run facility, which can result in incurring costs of CI$9,000 or more.
Arrival at the Airport: General Aviation Terminal
On arrival, the isolation team will greet you at the airport. You must have your passport and the isolation confirmation email ready on your phone (or printed), ready for identification. The public will not be allowed into the airport so please advise any family members or friends not to come to the airport on the day you arrive.
There are several steps that must be taken before you can be released from the airport and transported to your approved quarantine location. The Cayman Islands Government have advised the following steps.
1. You will be fitted with your iMSafe smart wristband at the General Aviation Terminal of the airport – this is new monitoring technology that you wear as a bracelet. Fitting and activation will take approximately 5 minutes or less per traveller. The wristband is light-weight, hypoallergenic, waterproof, latex free and is completely unobtrusive. Children who are 5 years old and up will be fitted with a smart wristband.
2. After this, you will proceed to the COVID-19 testing station to be swabbed for your initial PCR Test. Please note your test result will be sent to the email address provided within 24 hours. (Children ages 5 and up are tested).
3. The Cayman Islands Government have arranged for authorised transportation to take you directly to your approved quarantine location. No stops of any kind will be permitted on the way there.