The rules for renewing a work permit have changed and without access to the WORC offices on Mary Street, which have been closed due to the COVID-19 crisis, it is more important than ever that you follow the guidelines below.
For those businesses needing to renew a work permit application during the COVID-19 crisis here is how you go about doing it. Please note that it is more important than ever to register the job and see if there is a Caymanian out of work who could fill the role.
1. Register your company. The first thing you have to do is register your company on the JobsCayman website. Go to https://jobscayman.worc.gov.ky. If you already have a user name and password set up with the old NWDA website then this website should remember you. If not then a) click on the ‘New’ button b) select ‘register employer’ c) fill out the employer information and then click save d) Upload a valid Trade & Business License, a valid ID, an Authorisation letter and a copy of your Annual Returns and click submit. Your paperwork will then be reviewed and you will be sent a confirmation. This process takes between 1 and 3 business days. If you have any problems registering or something does not make sense then call (345) 925 9639 and someone from WORC will answer the phone and guide you through what to do. If they don't answer then just try back again in a few minutes as they are probably helping someone else. We found them incredibly helpful!
2. Register the job you want to renew OR review an existing job that you have posted. Once you have registered your company and received a username and access password you need to register a job post. a) Log onto the JobsCayman website: https://jobscayman.worc.gov.ky and b) click on the ‘New’ button and then c) click on the ‘Submit Job Post’. Your company name and info will not automatically appear, therefore, you need to type into the company field %%% (3 x the % sign one after the other) and then your company name will appear in a gray box below the percentage signs. Click on your company name. The jobs you have previously posted will appear further down the page. You can then click on one of the jobs (which highlights it in gray) and to view it you need to click the small symbol with a magnifying glass on it. d) fill out the job post information and click save and submit (TIP: the system has a habit of timing out if you aren't very efficient and quick at inputting the job post, so have all the info ready in a Word document and then copy and paste it into the required fields). The paperwork will then be reviewed (by the Dept of WORC) and this can take between 1 and 3 days.
3. Interview qualified candidates. If any qualified applicants apply for the job you have posted then you need to interview them and log down why they were not hired. Only once this has been completed can you move to the next step.
4. Once you are completely satisfied that there is no Caymanian out there that can fill the position, you can submit a work permit for your existing employee. a) Go to http://www.worc.ky/application/work-permits-pr (or click 'Applications' tab on the WORC website www.worc.ky) to find forms. Fill our all pages. Get your employee to sign their portion, then save a signed scan for emailing.
5. Transfer funds to the Cayman Islands Government’s bank account: The CIG have a bank account at Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and you need to transfer the work permit fee plus the application fee to account number 02101010537 and reference the work permit holder’s name. Save a copy of the payment receipt for emailing. Instructions for how to complete the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) can be found here: https://www.worc.ky/applicatio...
6. Things you do not need to submit with the work permit: at this time, you do not need to submit the accommodation form, a new photo, a medical or an x-ray, a police clearance or a cover letter.
7. Documents you do need to submit with the application form: You will need to gather and then email to WORCpermitsubmissions@gov.ky the signed application form, a copy of your business license, a copy of the picture page of your employee’s passport and a copy of the payment receipt. In lieu of the cover letter, you also must include in the body of the email an explanation as to why you need this work permit renewed and why a Caymanian could not be found to fill the position. Once sent, await confirmation that the paperwork has been received.
If there is any missing information or you then need to make further correspondence after you have submitted the work permit renewal you can email WORCAdministration@gov.ky or WORCpermitsubmissions@gov.ky. Cayman Status or Permanent Residency related applications should be emailed to WORC-CSPRsubmissions@gov.ky and please visit www.worc.ky for a list of FAQ's and EFT instructions.
If you need immediate assistance with any stage of this process, or have questions, please call the main WORC number (345) 945 9672 or call (345) 925 9639. Once you have been through the process once you will find it is not too difficult.