The rules for renewing a work permit have changed and without access to the WORC offices on Mary Street, which have been closed due to the current lockdown and COVID-19 crisis, it is more important than ever that you follow the guidelines below.
For those businesses needing to renew a work permit application during the COVID-19 lockdown, here is how you go about doing it. Please note that it is more important than ever to register the job and see if there is a Caymanian out of work who could fill the role.
1. Register your company. The first thing you have to do is register your company on the JobsCayman website. Go to https://jobscayman.worc.gov.ky. If you already have a user name and password set up with the old NWDA website then this website should remember you. If not then a) click on the ‘New’ button b) select ‘register employer’ c) fill out the employer information and then click save d) Upload a valid Trade & Business License, a valid ID, an Authorisation letter and a copy of your Annual Returns and click submit. Your paperwork will then be reviewed and you will be sent a confirmation. This process takes between 1 and 3 business days.
2. Register the job you want to renew. Once you have registered your company and received a username and access password you need to register a job post. a) Log onto the JobsCayman website: https://jobscayman.worc.gov.ky and b) click on the ‘New’ button and then c) click on the ‘Submit Job Post’ and select your company. d) fill out the job post information and click save and submit. The paperwork will then be reviewed and this can take between 1 and 3 days. [Cayman Resident Editor: please note that as of May 11th 2020 there have been some difficulties at this stage of the process due to the JobsCayman website being down. If you cannot register a job then just proceed with the application form. See here and on page 3, question 9, when it asks if the work permit has been advertised with the Dept of WORC just explain that it has not due to the JobsCayman website being down and not working properly.]
3. Interview qualified candidates. If any qualified applicants apply for the job you have posted then you need to interview them and log down why they were not hired. Only once this has been completed can you move to the next step.
4. Once you are completely satisfied that there is no Caymanian out there that can fill the position, you can submit a work permit for your existing employee. a) Go to http://www.worc.ky/application/work-permits-pr (or click 'Applications' tab on the WORC website www.worc.ky) to find forms. Fill our all pages. Sign and scan a copy of this to your employee to sign, then save a signed scan for emailing.
5. Transfer funds to the Cayman Islands Government’s bank account: The CIG have a bank account at Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and you need to transfer the work permit fee plus the application fee to account number 02101010537 and reference the work permit holder’s name. Save a copy of the payment receipt for emailing. Instructions for how to complete the Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) can be found here: https://www.worc.ky/applicatio...
6. Things you do not need to submit with the work permit: at this time, you do not need to submit the accommodation form, a new photo, a medical or an x-ray, a police clearance or a cover letter.
7. Documents you do need to submit with the application form: You will need to gather and then email to WORCpermitsubmissions@gov.ky the signed application form, a copy of your business license, a copy of the picture page of your employee’s passport and a copy of the payment receipt. In lieu of the cover letter, you also must include in the body of the email an explanation as to why you need this work permit renewed and why a Caymanian could not be found to fill the position. Once sent, await confirmation that the paperwork has been received.
If there is any missing information or you then need to make further correspondence after you have submitted the work permit renewal you can email WORCAdministration@gov.ky. Cayman Status or Permanent Residency related applications should be emailed to WORC-CSPRsubmissions@gov.ky and please visit www.worc.ky for a list of FAQ's and EFT instructions.