Children born on the Island to expats are not automatically entitled to citizenship unless one or both of their parents are either Caymanian or have been granted status or Permanent Residency.
If you are on a work permit, your baby must be added as a dependant on your work permit. To make this application, the following documents must be submitted to Immigration:
- Cover letter from work permit holder requesting addition of dependant
- Child’s birth certificate
- Parents’ marriage certificate (if in a foreign language, must be translated into English)
- Letter from either/both parents’ employers authorising the addition of a dependant to the work permit and proof of income (such as a bank statement)
- CI$100 application fee
- A completed amendment form (can be downloaded from the ‘working here’ section of the Government’s immigration website: www.immigration.gov.ky)
In order for your dependant to reside legally in Cayman, your minimum monthly base salary for a family of three must be in the region of CI$3,500. You will need to earn an extra CI$500-CI$1,000 for each additional dependant. Once all requirements are met, your child’s passport will get a stamp with a date on it. Remember to get each new passport re-stamped as airlines need to see an up-to-date dependant permit stamp in the passport for travel. If you have any questions, call the Department of Immigration (Tel: (345) 949 8344).